Saturday, March 1, 2008

prayer or song

Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is any one happy? Let him sing songs of praise.
~ James 5:13


When in trouble, of course we turn to prayer. Happy? Oh yes, let us sing!

Prayer and singing seem to come so naturally for some, but to others, this can be difficult. Am I praying at the right time? For the right reasons? Is God listening and will He answer? How will I know? If I am happy and singing will I be misunderstood?

Each night as I kennel our dog for the night, I must admit that I crawl into his kennel and softly sing him this song: "I love you Lord, and I lift my voice, to worship you, oh my soul rejoice. Take joy my King, in what you hear, may it be a sweet, sweet sound, in your ear." As I come to the end of the song, I sing directly into our dog’s ear. I know he probably has no idea what I am singing, but he certainly is comforted, lays down his head and is ready to go to sleep. I take comfort in knowing that at the end of the day he has heard a sweet, sweet sound in his ear.

It gives me further comfort to know that not only have I taken the time to comfort our dog, but at this happy time, to choose to sing a song of praise. As I lift my voice, as off key as it is, I am able to sing to my Lord, to show love, rejoicing in my soul, knowing that the King takes joy in what he hears, a sweet, sweet sound in His ear.

Whether we choose to come to the Lord in prayer or song, I know He does take joy in hearing from us each and every day whether we are troubled or happy.

~ Lana Lundgren

No comments:




Copyright 2008 -- The Lutheran Church of Guam. Contact webmaster