Friday, March 14, 2008

looking back

Joseph said to his brothers, “I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt! And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you.”
~ Genesis 45:4-5

When I decided to participate in this project, I had no idea what I would write about. This date is significant to me, as it is my 51st birthday. I don’t know when it happened, but birthdays now seem to be more of a time of reflection…they used to be only fun. I find myself looking back on the events that created the person I am today. Those events involved choices I made and choices which I had no control of. The most humbling learning experiences were when those choices caused suffering, pain, and recovery.

Though at the time I wasn’t a regular attendee at church, I often remembered the stories in Sunday School about Joseph and his suffering (Genesis 37-50). His status as the “favored” son reaped resentment and loathing from his brothers to the point of betrayal. They stripped his gifted coat, faked his death, lied to their father, and sold Joseph to slave traders. Later, he was unjustly thrown into prison by his master, yet through his faith, strength of character, and knowing God’s path for him, he faced all adversity and was made stronger -- eventually emerging as a ruler of all Egypt. Finally, even from his position of power, he chose forgiveness over revenge.

We will always face significant changes, as change is unavoidable in our lives. When we make wrong choices or bad choices are made for us, we must face facts. Mistakes are forgiven if a lesson is learned, we are truly repentant, and the transgression is not repeated. Regardless of what we do, God will always love and forgive us.

~ Jack Ary

No comments:




Copyright 2008 -- The Lutheran Church of Guam. Contact webmaster